Bike and Barge Amsterdam – Antwerp
Ship: Magnifique IV
Discover the charms of the Dutch countryside on this delightful cycling tour as you explore the best of what Holland has to offer. During the day you’ll cycle to iconic Dutch destinations such as the windmills at Kinderdijk, the merchant city of Dordrecht and Belgium’s lively cultural hub Antwerp, while at night you’ll relax in the comfort of your floating hotel.
On this boat and bike tour you’ll ride along the picturesque Vecht and Lek Rivers through beautiful – and flat – green landscapes. Sights along the way include countless charming villages, a visit to a working Dutch cheese farm, the 19 windmills at Kinderdijk and historic fortress towns such as Tholen and Vianen. Enjoy a coffee or a refreshing beer with the locals in an authentic Dutch pub, where you’ll receive a friendly nod as you arrive by bike.
This tour is fully-guided, but you can also cycle individually if you prefer. For each day’s cycling you’ll receive a detailed route map, and you can also use our app Ride With GPS. The tour leader can help you plan your daily route.
Amsterdam – Antwerp: departure dates on Thursday: April 29; May 13 and 27; June 10; July 8 and 22; August 5 and 19
Antwerp – Amsterdam: departure dates on Sunday: May 9 and 23; June 8 and 20; July 18; August 1, 15 and 29
Day 1: Amsterdam | Amsterdam – Vianen
Embarkation and check-in where the crew will welcome you on board is at 1 p.m.. At around 2 p.m. the ship will depart from Amsterdam for Vianen, a small fortified village on the Lek River. After dinner you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy a short first test ride through the surrounding area.
Day 2: Vianen – Schoonhoven – Kinderdijk (32 km/19 mi. or 56 km/34 mi.)| Kinderdijk – Dordrecht
Today you will cycle along a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (“Silver City”) – a city renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th century. Later in the day as you cycle through the Alblasserwaard region you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills. All 19 windmills have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing and are a definite highlight – you will have the opportunity to visit one so don’t forget to bring your camera! From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus”, a fast ferry, that will take you and your bicycle in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland.
Day 3: Dordrecht – Willemstad | Willemstad – Tholen (36 km/23 mi. or 44 km/28 mi.) | Tholen – Kreekrak lock – Antwerp
As you enjoy your breakfast aboard the ship, the ship will sail to Willemstad where you will start your day’s cycling. Willemstad is a beautiful old fortified town on the Haringvliet waterway. Your bicycle ride goes to Tholen, once was an island in the middle of the large Zeeland streams, where many people fished for their living. Nowadays Tholen is connected to the mainland in various ways. But it is still a picturesque village with many relics of an eventful past.
In the afternoon you will once again board the ship which will sail to the port city of Antwerp, situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world’s rough diamonds and is a city with a long list of attractions including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. After dinner you can visit the beautiful old city center.
Day 4: Antwerp
Today is the last day of this short but sweet cycling cruise. You’ll still have an entire day to discover this city of culture, cobblestones and Baroque Flemish masterpieces. In the morning your tour leader will take you for a walk through the center of Antwerp to visit to the Cathedral of Our Lady. Here you can admire paintings by the famous painter Rubens. In the afternoon you can explore this multifaceted city on your own. Visit the Rubens House, the palazzo where the brilliant and versatile artist lived with his family. Other ways to spend a pleasant afternoon are a tasting tour at the famous ‘de Koninck’ beer brewery; exploring the fascinating and modern MAS Museum on the Scheldt River; or going shopping on Antwerp’s fashionable Nationalestraat.
As it’s the last day, we’ll ask you to check out of your cabin straight after breakfast. Your luggage can stay on board and can be picked up at any time.
Good to know
- Accompanied by a competent, professional and multilingual tour leader, you and the group will visit interesting sights and places on the daily cycling tours. During the bike tour, they will explain the local history and culture behind the things you encounter along the way.
- On this Tour with more than 22 guests the daily cycling tours will be accompanied by 2 knowledgeable and multi-lingual tour leaders. On most days the tour leaders will offer a long and a short (or a quicker and a more relaxed) bicycle option.
- Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bicycle option.
- You can also choose to ride individually with the help of a map and route notes (available on board). GPS tracks will be sent to you 4 weeks before the start date of the tour.
- In case you prefer a day of rest, you can skip the bicycle tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
- On the arrival day is it possible to bring your luggage on board from 11 a.m..
- 4 days/3 nights
- 3 x breakfast
- 3 x 3-course dinner
- Entrance cathedral Antwerp
- Packed lunches
- Coffee and tea on board
- Welcome drink
- Use of bed linen and towels
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Climate-controlled cabin
- Daily briefings
- Fully guided cycling tours (2 tour leaders, 2 groups)
- Some short walking tours
- Maps and notes for cycling tours (1 set per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- Use of a regular bike
- Use of a helmet
- Use of a waterproof pannier bag
- Water bottle
- Fees for ferries
- Visit Kinderdijk mills
- Surplus for E-bike rental
- Personal insurances
- Gratuities (at your discretion)
- Entrance fees and excursions (not mentioned under inclusions)
- Transfers to/from the docking place
- Parking fees
Additional options & information - 2021
- Rental bicycle Premium: € 65,- optional
- Rental E-Bike Premium: € 130,- (optional, only a limited number of electrical bikes available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking own bicycle: € 7 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking + charge station own E-Bike: € 17 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking in Amsterdam (valet parking): prices and pre-booking on request.
Travel during corona time
On our tours we make sure that you can travel safely! We follow all possible safety measures on board by observing hygiene rules, equipping staff with face masks and with extra cleaning and sufficient ventilation. All guests, crew and tour leaders complete a health declaration in advance, and during the trip we take care that everyone stays healthy!