Bike and Barge Antwerp-Amsterdam
Discover the charms of the Dutch countryside on this delightful tour as you explore the best of what Holland has to offer. During the day you’ll cycle to iconic Dutch destinations such as the windmills at Kinderdijk, the merchant city of Dordrecht and Belgium’s lively cultural hub Antwerp, while at night you’ll relax in the comfort of your floating hotel.
On this boat and bike tour you’ll ride along the picturesque Vecht and Lek Rivers through beautiful – and flat – green landscapes. Sights along the way include countless charming villages, a visit to a working Dutch cheese farm, the 19 windmills at Kinderdijk and historic fortress towns such as Tholen and Vianen. Enjoy a coffee or a refreshing beer with the locals in an authentic Dutch pub, where you’ll receive a friendly nod as you arrive by bike.
This tour is fully-guided, but you can also cycle individually if you prefer. For each day’s cycling you’ll receive a detailed route map, and you can also use our app Ride With GPS. The tour leader can help you plan your daily route.
Day 1: Antwerp
Embarkation and check-in at 2 p.m., where the crew will welcome you on board. In the afternoon there’s time to select your bike and take a short test ride.
The ship is moored in the port city of Antwerp, situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world’s rough diamonds and is a city with a long list of attractions including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle.
Day 2: Antwerp – Kreekrak locks | Kreekrak locks – Tholen (36 km/23 mi. or 20 km/13 mi.)| Tholen – Willemstad – Dordrecht
This morning, the ship will sail along the Schelde-Rhine Canal and over the huge Kreekrak lock system. Here your bicycle tour starts through the beautiful “Wouwse Plantage” forest to Tholen, Tholen once was an island in the middle of the large Zeeland streams, where many people fished for their living. Nowadays Tholen is connected to the mainland in various ways. But it is still a picturesque village with many relics of an eventful past. From Tholen you will join the ship again for a nice afternoon sail to the city of Dordrecht. Halfway the ship will pass the impressive Volkerak lock system.
Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands is your destination for the day. The guide will take you for an evening walk and tell you about the history of the Netherlands.
Day 3: Dordrecht – Kinderdijk | Kinderdijk – Schoonhoven – Vianen (32 km/19 mi. or 57 km/36 mi.)
Today you will start your tour with the “Waterbus”, a fast ferry that will take you and your bicycle in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. After just a few minutes of cycling you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills – one of which you can visit (don’t forget your camera!). The windmills were constructed in the 18th century to pump water out of the low Alblasserwaard polder (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments). You will then continue to cycle via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek (Lower Rhine), where you will stay for the night and where you can explore at your leisure after dinner.
Day 4: Vianen – Breukelen | Breukelen – Amsterdam (36 km/23 mi. or 46 km/28 mi.)
During breakfast the ship will cruise to Breukelen where you disembark to start your final day of cycling. Ride along the Vecht River in an area famous for its beautiful mansions, small castles, impressive houses and their large gardens. After cycling through the villages of Nieuwersluis, Loenen and Vreeland you will arrive at Nigtevecht where you can visit a traditional cheese farm. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and on to Amsterdam where you will meet the barge for the final time in the Amsterdam harbor.
Day 5: Amsterdam
Last day of your tour: disembarkation after breakfast and goodbyes until 9.30 a.m..
Good to know
Parts that are printed in italics parts will be covered by the ship.
All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours.
- Accompanied by a competent, professional and multilingual tour leader, you and the group will visit interesting sights and places on the daily cycling tours. During the bike tour, they will explain the local history and culture behind the things you encounter along the way.
- On this Tour with more than 22 guests the daily cycling tours will be accompanied by 2 knowledgeable and multi-lingual tour leaders. On most days the tour leaders will offer a long and a short (or a quicker and a more relaxed) bicycle option.
- Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bicycle option.
- You can also choose to ride individually with the help of a map and route notes (available on board). GPS tracks will be sent to you 4 weeks before the start date of the tour.
- In case you prefer a day of rest, you can skip the bicycle tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
- On the arrival day is it possible to bring your luggage on board from 11 a.m..
- 5 days/4 nights
- 4 x breakfast
- 4 x 3-course dinner
- Entrance cathedral Antwerp
- Packed lunches
- Coffee and tea on board
- Welcome drink
- Use of bed linen and towels
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Climate-controlled cabin
- Daily briefings
- Fully guided cycling tours (2 tour leaders, 2 groups)
- Some short walking tours
- Maps and notes for cycling tours (1 set per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- Use of a regular bike
- Use of a helmet
- Use of a waterproof pannier bag
- Water bottle
- Fees for ferries
- Visit Kinderdijk mills
- Surplus for E-bike rental
- Personal insurances
- Gratuities (at your discretion)
- Entrance fees and excursions (not mentioned under inclusions)
- Transfers to/from the docking place
- Parking fees
Additional options & information - 2021
- Rental bicycle Premium: € 65 per week (optional)
- Rental E-Bike Premium: € 130 per week (optional, only a limited number of electrical bikes available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking own bicycle: € 7 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking + charge station own E-Bike: € 17 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking in Amsterdam (valet parking): prices and pre-booking on request.
Travel during corona time
On our tours we make sure that you can travel safely! We follow all possible safety measures on board by observing hygiene rules, equipping staff with face masks and with extra cleaning and sufficient ventilation. All guests, crew and tour leaders complete a health declaration in advance, and during the trip we take care that everyone stays healthy!