Bike and Barge Cologne to Mainz
Romantic and Indulgence along the Rhine“ with bike and barge through the UNESCO world heritage from Cologne to Mainz
Numerous romantic castles and fortresses have been built along the banks of the Rhine between Cologne and Mainz and they have many exciting stories to tell. The UNESCO World Heritage Site Upper Middle Rhine Valley is rich in tales and adventures and it is very beautiful. The Rhine in this area pushes its way through rocks and passes towns like Koblenz, which are over 2000 years old and have old towns with many timber framed houses. This is the ideal landscape for a beautiful and relaxing holiday. Last but not least many of these towns between Cologne and Mainz are home to some noble wines and regional delicacies, which make this journey also a culinary one.
The MS ARKONA is being completely refurbished during the winter of 2017/2018. The modern and elegant atmosphere aboard the vessel will make your journey a relaxed experience.
The Upper deck holds the tastefully furbished saloon with bar and a bright and friendly restaurant. The spacious sun deck is partly shaded and features comfortable deck chairs, which invite the passengers to enjoy the passing scenery in relaxation. Both the Upper and the Main deck hold comfortable cabins of 11 m², furnished in a modern way. All cabins feature hotel-style beds, en-suite facilities with shower and hair dryer, TV, safe and individually controlled air conditioning. Upper deck: twelve two-bed-cabins with sliding glass doors and French balcony (= room high window, the upper part of the window is to open) and two one-bed-cabins with a small double bed (140cm) and opening panoramic windows. Main deck: 34 two-bed cabins with non-opening windows.
Day 1: Arrival to Cologne
Individual arrival to Cologne and Embarkation between 3 and 5 pm. Enjoy the evening on board or with a Kölsch beer in one of the pubs with a view over the river Rhine.
Day 2: Cologne – Bonn, Cycle tour, approx. 37 km
Before starting your first cycle tour, take the opportunity to stroll through the Old Town. Afterwards you start your first cycling tour to the city of Beethoven, Bonn. This federal city and former capital of Germany still has international flair. On your way it is worthwhile to visit the leisure island Groov amidst a vast landscape of the Rheinaue wetland in the Cologne suburb Porz-Zündorf. In Bonn there are museums like the House of History or the Bundeskunsthalle courting for visitors’ attention and the House of Beethoven, the Rheinaue as well as the Bundesviertel with the path of Democracy are equally worth a visit.
Day 3: Bonn – Andernach, Cycle tour, approx. 45 km
You will continue towards Andernach by bike today. Königswinter with its castle Drachenburg on the Drachenfels (steep ascent) as well as the Sea Life with aquariums for more than 6.000 sea inhabitants is worth a visit. Your destination for today, Andernach, is famous for the world´s biggest cold water gush spring with its impressive fountain of 60 m.
Day 4: Andernach – Koblenz, Cycle tour, approx. 25 km
On your way to Koblenz you will find castle Engers in Neuwied. At the famous “Deutsche Eck” (german corner) the river Mosel merges with the river Rhine. Another place of interest is the fortress Ehrenbreitstein which you can also reach by cableway across the Rhine in Koblenz. Tickets for the cableway are available on board.
Day 5: Koblenz – St. Goar, Cycle Tour approx. 38 km
You continue your journey by bike up the river Rhine through the UNESCO world heritage site Upper Middle Rhine Valley. You will pass the romantic fortress Marksburg, the only hilltop castle of middle Rhine which has never been destroyed, as well as the city Boppard with its fortress Kurfürstliche Burg, before you will reach St. Goar. Here you will find the ruins of fortress Rheinfels, which is the biggest of its kind along the Rhine. The fortresses Katz und Maus (cat and mouse) in St. Goarshausen on the other side of the Rhine are also worth visiting.
Day 6: St. Goar – Rüdesheim, Cycle Tour approx. 32 km
Again you will pass very beautiful Rhine castles like Burg Reichenstein and Burg Rheinstein. You will cycle past the famous rock Loreley before you reach Rüdesheim. In Rüdesheim we recommend a city walk around the historical town with its beautiful half-timbered houses. Or treat yourself to a ride on the cable car up to the Niederwald monument. Here you will have a beautiful view over the old town of Rüdesheim and the river.
Day 7: Rüdesheim – Mainz, Cycle Tour approx. 32 km
On your final cycling stage you will find the Rhine at its best. The city Eltville am Rhein with its emblem, the castle Kurfürstliche Burg, is on your way. Mainz, your destination of today, presents itself with numerous impressive buildings. You may want to visit its cathedral Hoher Dom St. Martin, one of the proud imperial cathedrals of Germany, or the castle Kurfürstliches Schloss. In the old town you will find attractive alleys and squares like the Augustinerstraße and the Kirschgarten with its lovely timber framed houses and wine restaurants.
8. Tag: Departure from Mainz
Disembarkation after breakfast until 9:00am.
- 7 nights in outside cabins on MS ARKONA with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Services not included:
- Journey to Rotterdam and from Cologne
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- ferry fares
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- drinks on board
Rental 7-gear-bicycle, hand- and coaster brake or free wheel (advance reservation, limited number), pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 70,-
Rental E-Bike (advance reservation, limited number) with pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 165,-
- Embarkation: between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m.
- Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed - unisex- city bikes with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required)
- To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible.
- Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 30 and 55 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate.
- Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
- Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship.
- Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited!
- Alterations of schedule or programm: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
- Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.