Bike and Barge Mainz to Cologne
Romance and Pleasure on the Rhine River. With bike and barge through the UNESCO world heritage from Mainz to Cologne
Numerous romantic castles and fortresses have been built along the banks of the Rhine between Cologne and Mainz and they have many exciting stories to tell. The UNESCO World Heritage Site Upper Middle Rhine Valley is rich in tales and adventures and it is very beautiful. The Rhine in this area pushes its way through rocks and passes towns like Koblenz, which are over 2000 years old and have old towns with many timber framed houses. This is the ideal landscape for a beautiful and relaxing holiday. Last but not least many of these towns between Cologne and Mainz are home to some noble wines and regional delicacies, which make this journey also a culinary one.
The MS ARKONA is being completely refurbished during the winter of 2017/2018. The modern and elegant atmosphere aboard the vessel will make your journey a relaxed experience.
The Upper deck holds the tastefully furbished saloon with bar and a bright and friendly restaurant. The spacious sun deck is partly shaded and features comfortable deck chairs, which invite the passengers to enjoy the passing scenery in relaxation. Both the Upper and the Main deck hold comfortable cabins of 11 m², furnished in a modern way. All cabins feature hotel-style beds, en-suite facilities with shower and hair dryer, TV, safe and individually controlled air conditioning. Upper deck: twelve two-bed-cabins with sliding glass doors and French balcony (= room high window, the upper part of the window is to open) and two one-bed-cabins with a small double bed (140cm) and opening panoramic windows. Main deck: 34 two-bed cabins with non-opening windows.
Day 1: Arrival to Mainz
Embarkation from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. There may be time to see the old town of Mainz with its lovely alleys and public squares.
Day 2: Mainz – Rüdesheim, Cycle tour approx. 32 km
Today we will show you why the river Rhine and its surroundings are part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage. Beautiful islands, steep slate rocks and vinyards shape the region around Rüdesheim. By bike you will pass Eltville with its fortress „Kurfürstliche Burg“ and Oestrich-Winkel with its crane for loading wine as a famous landmark and arrive finally in Rüdesheim. Here, the world-famous wine alley „Drosselgasse” is well worth a visit.
Day 3: Rüdesheim – St. Goar (St. Goarshausen), Cycle tour approx. 32 km
Today you will cycle along the Rhine through the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, passing romantic castles and ruins. These buildings include the fortresses Reichenstein and Rheinstein. The famous rock of the Loreley will also be on your way to St. Goar, your destination for today. From the top of the rock you will have a beautiful view of St. Goar and St. Goarshausen.
Day 4: St. Goar – Koblenz, Cycle tour approx. 38 km
Boppard and the Marksburg are possible destinations today on your way to Koblenz with its famous “Deutsche Eck” (German corner), where the rivers Moselle and Rhine are merging. From the fortress Ehrenbreitstein which you can reach comfortably by cableway you will enjoy a fantastic view over the splendid landscape of the Rhine.
Day 5: Koblenz - Andernach, Cycle tour approx. 25 km
Your path will lead you past Neuwied with its castle Engers to Andernach, your destination for today. This city is like Koblenz one of the oldest cities of Germany. Here you will find the famous cold water gush spring, whose water fountain of 50 to 60 meters is said to be the highest in the world. In Andernach you can enjoy sights like the Round Tower or visit the wine village Leutesdorf, which you can reach from Andernach by ferry.
Day 6: Andernach - Bonn, Cycle tour approx. 45 km
On your way to Bonn it is worthwhile to visit in Königswinter castle Drachenburg on the Drachenfels (steep slope) or the Sea Life with its various marine inhabitants. Finally you will reach Bonn. The former capital of Germany is both cosy and yet cosmopolitan. Numerous global organisations still have their headquarters here and provide the city of Beethoven with international flair.
Day 7: Bonn - Cologne, Cycle tour approx. 37 km
Before you reach Cologne by bike, there is the possibility for a nice rest at the leisure island Groov amidst a vast landscape of the Rheinaue wetland in the Cologne suburb Porz-Zündorf. Once you have reached the city centre of Cologne, take your time for a stroll through the Old Town. Also worthwhile are one of the museums as well as the modern parts of Cologne, which can be found at the port of the Rheinaue wetland with its crane houses. The breweries with their famous beer “Kölsch” show a relaxed side of this big city.
Day 8: Departure from Cologne
Disembarkation after breakfast until 9:00 a.m.
- 7 nights in outside cabins on MS ARKONA with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Services not included:
- Journey to Rotterdam and from Cologne
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- ferry fares
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- drinks on board
Rental 7-gear-bicycle, hand- and coaster brake or free wheel (advance reservation, limited number), pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 70,-
Rental E-Bike (advance reservation, limited number) with pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 165,-
- Embarkation: between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m.
- Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed - unisex- city bikes with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required)
- To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible.
- Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 30 and 55 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate.
- Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
- Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship.
- Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited!
- Alterations of schedule or programm: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
- Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.