Bike and Barge Strasbourg to Mainz
Bike and barge along the Rhine from Strasbourg (Kehl) to Mainz. The Rhine Cycle Route provides fine views over the Rhine, which has often been immortalised in story and song, as well as over untouched riverside forests with rich varied fauna and flora.
The cycleway also leads through picturesque towns, villages and winegrowing areas. The region boasts a wealth of popular touristic destinations and cultural sites as well as of culinary specialities. You cannot miss a short detour to the Neckar River and to Heidelberg, a marvellous city steeped in history. Words are useless to describe the beautiful landscape, the unique cultural sites and the regional delicacies: you simply have to experience them yourself!
Description of the cabins
The 48 comfortable cabins offer enough space for a maximum of 94 guests. On the lower deck there are 20 twin cabins (about 11 sq. m.) and on the upper deck 24 twin cabins (about 11 sq. m.), 4 larger cabins in the rear area of the ship (12 sq. m., 3 of them with a double bed, during the trip amplified noises are perceptible) and 2 single cabins (about 9 sq. m.). All cabins have a bathroom with shower, toilet, and hairdryer; a telephone, TV, individually controlled air conditioner / heating, refrigerator, safe and panoramic windows. The windows on the upper deck can be opened.
Day 1: Arrival to Strasbourg (Kehl)
Individual arrival at Strasbourg (Kehl) and embarkation from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. There may be time to explore the capital of the Alsace with its many canals.
Day 2: Boat Tour Strasbourg (Kehl) – Gambsheim / Gambsheim/Freistett – Plittersdorf, Cycle tour approx. 40 km
Enjoy your breakfast during a boat tour starting in Strasbourg. After arriving at the lock station in Gambs-heim/Freistett you start your cycle tour directly alongside the Rhine through the gentle Rhine plain up to Plittersdorf. Here you stay for the night. Active cyclists can also start their cycle tour directly in the morning in Kehl (Cycle tour Kehl – Plittersdorf approx. 60 km)
Day 3: Boat Tour Plittersdorf – Germersheim / Germersheim - Speyer, Cycle Tour approx. 25 km
Early in the morning your ship starts its way to Germersheim. Here your today’s cycle tour begins: look forward to visiting the old fortified town of Germersheim with its many picturesque lanes, corners and squares. Continuing through the Palatinate land, you reach the cathedral city of Speyer. Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Day 4: Speyer – Mannheim, Cycle Tour approx. 20 km
Enjoy a short cycle ride alongside the Old Rhine, past marvellous lakes, through untouched protected areas designated as National Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. You reach Mannheim, also called the “City of Squares” due to its layout in a grid-pattern. In these squares, countless places are well worth visiting as for example the famous Mannheim Baroque Palace – German largest Baroque palace complex and the water tower – the city’s landmark.
Day 5: Mannheim – Heidelberg, Cycle Tour approx. 45 km
Today the tour leads through the core of the Electoral Palatinate and thus partly along the Castle Road. Schwetzingen Castle and its castle garden are only two reasons to visit the charming town of Schwetzingen. From here, the route continues via Plankstadt and Eppelheim to Heidelberg. Already visible from afar, the castle ruin of Heidelberg Castle towers over the Old Town. Admire the famous Heidelberg red sandstone bridge or stroll through meandering lanes and see the picturesque squares in the Old Town.
Day 6: Heidelberg – Worms, Cycle Tour approx. 45 km
You leave the history-charged Heidelberg and follow the course of the Neckar River. The Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic Old Town is well worth a stop-off. After Mannheim, you will be back on the Rhine and follow its course until you reach the imperial city of Worms. On your journey through two millenniums of the city’s history, learn about emperors and kings, myths and legends of the Nibelung, Judaism and Martin Luther.
Day 7: Boat Tour Worms – Nierstein, Nierstein – Mainz, Cycle Tour approx. 20 km
With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticultural area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. The historic Old Town with its medieval market square and noble houses is also well worth visiting. A short stretch that leaves plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route on well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine from Nierstein to Mainz. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can also choose to start the cycle tour already in Worms. (cycle tour Worms-Mainz approx. 60 km).
Day 8: Mainz
After breakfast disembarkation until 09:00am. Individual journey home.
- 7 nights in outside cabins on MS Olympia with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
Services not included:
- Journey to Strasbourg and from Mainz
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- ferry fares
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- drinks on board
Rental 7-gear-bicycle, hand- and coaster brake or free wheel (advance reservation, limited number), pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 75,-
Rental E-Bike (advance reservation, limited number) with pannier bag and rental bike insurance. € 165,-
- Embarkation: between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m.
- Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed - unisex- city bikes with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required)
- To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible.
- Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 30 and 55 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate.
- Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
- Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship.
- Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited!
- Alterations of schedule or programm: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
- Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.