Bike and Barge Germany
Lake District of Mecklenburg | MS Gretha van Holland. Land of the thousand lakes. A combined boat and bike tour means beautiful river scenery during cycle tours, which is an active, yet relaxing vacation away from the main roads.
The lake district of Mecklenburg and the Müritz National Park – often called Land of the thousand lakes and this area wears this name rightly – offers pure nature – from all sides the element of water shows his best side: beautiful landscapes surrounded by scenic lakes and rivers. Maybe you'll see eagles and wild geese in the air. It is no wonder that people have built castles here and are that writers like Tucholsky stayed here. The land of the thousands lakes bring you good memories.
Guided bike tours by a German guide with good knowledge of this area.
Tour Details Germany: Lake District of Mecklenburg
| MS Gretha van Holland
Day 1 (Sat): Embarkation: Waren
Embarkation as from 4 PM. Waren is a small town on the Binnenmüritz of the Mecklenburg Lake District. Worth seeing is the church of St. George high above the city. At the same time she is also one of the oldest buildings, dating from the Middle Ages. Also worthwhile are the St. Mary Church and the Old Town Hall from the 18th century.
Day 2 (Sun): Waren – Wisentgehege Damerower Werder – Malchow (Approx. 30-35 km/18-21 mi.) | Malchow – Plau am See
In the early afternoon you cycle from Waren to Wisentgehege Damerower Werder. After that the bike tour goes on around the “Fleesensee” to Malchow. Surrounded by hills, woods and water the ship is docked at the bank of the Malchower lake. Very interesting is the swing bridge. Then you will sail with the ship to the docking place Seelust in Plau am See.
Day 3 (Mon): Plau am See – Malchow (Approx. 35 km.21 mi.) | Malchow – Binnenmüritz – Waren
A bike tour along the west coast of the lakes to Malchow. When everyone is on board the ship will sail to Binnenmüritz. Overnight in Waren. After diner there is a city walk through Waren.
Day 4 (Tue): Waren – Röbel (Approx. 35 km/21 mi.) | Röbel – Diemitz
The beautiful Schloss Klink (castle) – “the dream castle on the Müritz” – is the first goal of today’s bike tour. In Röbel, with it's 2 impressive churches, you will meet the ship again. In the afternoon you will sail with the ship to Schleuse Diemitz (lock).
Day 5 (Wed): Diemitz – Rheinsberg – Kleinzerlang (Approx. 30–45 km/18-27 mi.)
Today you will cycle to Rheinsberg, with it’s impressive castle and park. Walk through the town, in the trace of Fontane and Tucholsky. From Rheinsberg you can choose to cycle directly back to the ship in Kleinzerlang or to continue the bike tour along beautiful roads via Zechliner Hüffe to Kleinzerlang.
Day 6 (Thu): Kleinzerlang – Rechlin (Approx. 30 km/18 mi.)
You’ll see many small lakes and small picturesque villages along the way to the Fleether Mühle (mill) and then on to Mirow: the locals call this romantic castle-island: love-island. Then the tour continues via Lärz to Rechlin, situated at the southern part of the river Müritz.
Day 7 (Fri): Rechlin – Müritz National park –Waren (Approx. 45 km/27 mi.)
Today you’ll cycle from Gutshof Boek into the national park of Müritz, with its extended pine- and beech woods, many small lakes and pools. In the afternoon you will reach Waren again. On board you can enjoy the farewell-buffet.
Day 8 (Sat): Disembarkation: Waren
After breakfast: disembarkation and end of the tour.
Details: In italics printed parts will be covered by the ship.
All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours.
When you do not want to cycle one day, you can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
Program and details barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons.
- 7 Nights in a cabin with shower/toilet from and to Waren (Germany) in the booked accommodation
- Welcome drink on the first evening on board
- Full board (breakfast buffet and 3 or 4-course dinner on board, packed „picnic“ lunch during bike tours, in the afternoon till 4:30 pm coffee with biscuit)
- Daily regular quick cleaning of the cabins
- Use of bed linen and towels (change of towels on request)
- Harbor-, locks- and bridge fees
- Daily briefing of the bike tour
- Guided bike tour through the National Park of Muritz
- City walk through Waren
- Maps and Information material 1x per cabin (in German)
- Guided bike tours by a guide with good knowledge of this area
- Transfers to/from docking places in Waren
- Other transfers
- Bike rent
- Parking fee
- Entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries
- City maps
- Drinks on board
- personal (travel) insurance
- gratuities (at your discretion)
Rental Bike with 7 gears with hand- and back-pedal brakes, a pannier bag and (2018: rental bike insurance): €70
Rental E-Bike with back-pedal brakes, pannier bag and (2018: rental bike insurance) (limited available, pre-booking): €165
– Embarkation as from 4 pm.
– Disembarkation after breakfast till 9:00 am.
– Rental bikes on board: light unisex tour bicycles of the brand KTM with 7 gears with hand- and backpedal brake or and E-Bike with backpedal brake (only on request available, limited), both with a pannier bag.
– The bike tours are guided. They are between 20-45 km (12–27 miles). All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours.
– Characteristics: The quality of the bike paths is good. You will cycle through slight hilly landscapes, but also on forest paths. This tour is also suitable for the non-experienced cyclists.
– Luggage: we advise you to bring good rain cloths, bike helmet, sunhat and sport shoes. Due to the lack of storage room in the cabins we advise you to bring suitcases or bags which are fold-able.
– The sailing schedule and tour details are barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons. When in case of low or high water a part of the route can’t be sailed, the – skipper reserves the right to change the route for your own safety (this is not a reason for free withdrawal).
– Travel documents: please don’t forget to bring your passport.
– Special meals are available for vegetarians and guests with other moderate diet wishes, but only on prior notification. Depending on these wishes, in some cases a supplement may be charged of €25 p.p. per week (to be paid directly on board). Please inform us by booking.
Unguarded parking, approx. 1,5 km of the docking place. Price approx. €30 per week (please inform us by booking).
Minimum number of participants for this tour is 18.
Legal notice: Tour operator for this tours is SE Tours GmbH, Bremerhaven, Germany. The tour operator is entitled to cancel the tour if the minimum number of participants has not been reached. If the tour will not take place, all deposits/payments will be fully refunded. Other conditions may apply to this tour. We recommend purchasing a travel and cancellation insurance.