Boat and Bike Belgium: Antwerp - Bruges
The Antwerp to Bruges bike and barge tour with ship Magnifique is an absolute cycling classic that takes you through an enchanting river landscape bookended by these two iconic Belgian cities.
During this five-day, four-night tour you’ll not only have the opportunity to discover Belgium’s enchanting rivers and canals, but you’ll also visit and explore the historic gems of Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp. Along the way you’ll cycle through traditional little Belgian villages, visit several famous local landmarks and, last but certainly not least, have the chance to experience Belgium’s superb culinary culture for yourself. Enjoy a coffee or delicious local beer in an authentic Belgian pub, where the locals love to raise a glass, especially when you arrive by bike.
* This tour is fully-guided, but you can also cycle individually if you prefer. For each day’s cycling you’ll receive a detailed route map, and you can also use our app Ride With GPS. The tour leader can help you plan your daily route.
Day 1: Antwerp
Embarkation and check-in at 2 p.m., where the crew will welcome you on board. In the afternoon there’s time to select your bike and take a short test ride.
The ship is moored in the port city of Antwerp, situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world’s rough diamonds and is a city with a long list of attractions including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle.
Day 2: Antwerp – Temse – St. Amands (34 km/21 mi. or 49 km/31 mi.)
This morning you will cycle out of Antwerp along a picturesque section of the Schelde River to St. Amands your home for the night. There is only one way to describe the landscape around the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour.
Day 3: St. Amands – Dendermonde | Dendermonde– Ghent (52 km/32 mi.)
Today you will continue to follow the river Schelde to Ghent where the ship will moor for the night at a lock in a suburb of town. Ghent is a lively university city that boasts a rich history. Since Roman times Ghent’s position at the junction of Leie and Schelde Rivers has ensured that it has been a successful trading port. In total the city features an Opera House, 18 museums, more than 100 churches and over 400 historical buildings. Major attractions are St. Bavo Cathedral where a number of masterpieces of medieval art including the world famous ‘Adoration of the Mystic Lamb’ by Jan van Eyck are kept and the 91-metre-tall belfry of Ghent, one of three medieval towers that overlook the old city center. Before dinner a small canal boat will take you for a guided tour through the historic city.
Day 4: Ghent – Bruges (22 km/13 mi. or 45 km/28 mi.)
Today you will cycle from Ghent through the beautiful Flemish countryside of western Flanders to Bruges, widely described as the ‘Venice of the North’ and arguably the most beautiful of all the Flemish cities. Bruges attracts more than two million visitors every year who come to see the picturesque medieval town center of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic city and a long list of historic attractions. An outstanding example of a medieval historic settlement, Bruges has managed to maintain its historic fabric as it has evolved over the centuries, with the result that today the city’s original Gothic buildings form an integral part of the town’s identity. While you are here you can visit one of Bruges many museums or simply take in the stunning beauty and culture of this unforgettable city from the comfort of a sidewalk café.
Day 5: Bruges
End of your tour: disembarkation after breakfast and goodbyes until 9.30 a.m..
Good to know
Parts that are printed in italics parts will be covered by the ship.
All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours.
The tour details are barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons.
- On this Tour with more than 22 guests the daily cycling tours will be accompanied by 2 knowledgeable and multi-lingual tour leaders. On most days the tour leaders will offer a long and a short (or a quicker and a more relaxed) bicycle option.
- Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bicycle option.
- You can also choose to ride individually with the help of a map and route notes (available on board). GPS tracks will be sent to you 4 weeks before the start date of the tour.
- In case you prefer a day of rest, you can skip the bicycle tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
- On the arrival day is it possible to bring your luggage on board from 11 a.m..
Included in this tour Antwerp – Bruges:
- 5 days/4 nights
- 4 x breakfast
- 4 x 3-course dinner
- Packed lunches
- Coffee and tea on board
- Welcome drink
- Use of bed linen and towels
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Climate-controlled cabin
- Daily briefings
- Fully guided cycling tours (2 tour leaders, 2 groups)
- Some short walking tours
- Maps and notes for cycling tours (1 set per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- Use of a regular bike
- Use of a helmet
- Use of a waterproof pannier bag
- Water bottle
Excluded in this tour
- Surplus for E-bike rental
- Personal insurances
- Gratuities (at your discretion)
- Entrance fees and excursions (not mentioned under inclusions)
- Transfers to/from the docking place
- Parking fees
- Rental bicycle Premium: € 65 per week (optional)
- Rental E-Bike Premium: € 130 per week (optional, only a limited number of electrical bikes available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking own bicycle: € 7 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking + charge station own E-Bike: € 17 per week (only a limited number of parking places available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Parking in Amsterdam (valet parking): prices and pre-booking on request.
Travel during corona time
On our tours we make sure that you can travel safely! We follow all possible safety measures on board by observing hygiene rules, equipping staff with face masks and with extra cleaning and sufficient ventilation. All guests, crew and tour leaders complete a health declaration in advance, and during the trip we take care that everyone stays healthy!
Transfer between Amsterdam and Antwerp: There is a good train connection between these two cities. Please visit one of the following websites for timetables, tickets or more information www.omio.co.uk or www.trainline.eu.