Boat and Bike Holland: Tulip Tour | Fluvius
Experience Holland in the best possible way:
a gorgeous spring short break dominated by flowers. This 5 day mini-cruise plows through the most beautiful season of the year and will take you to gorgeous areas such in “the Garden of Amsterdam”. Enjoy some unforgettable days on board of a passenger barge with excellent service and an alternating itinerary.
Amsterdam is also called, by some, the smallest metropolis of Europe. There are many unique museums, enticing shopping and, recently added to the UNESCO Cultural World Heritage list, the canals in the heart of Amsterdam certainly make a visit to Amsterdam a highlight. Visit the famous flower market in the center of the capital and discover the „Zaanse Schans“ open air museum including windmills, a traditional cheese maker, a clog maker and an authentic traditional Dutch village. Other highlights of this trip are the historic city of Haarlem, the world famous flower park „Keukenhof“ near Lisse and the largest flower auction in the world in Aalsmeer.
Day 1: Amsterdam | Amsterdam – Zaandam
Embarkation and check-in, where the crew will welcome you on board, takes place between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. As soon as all guests have arrived a short cruise will bring you to Zaandam, a spot famous for its windmills. Here, your barge will berth in the center of the city for the night. Upon arrival you can enjoy taking your new bike for a brief test ride through the surrounding area. In the evening, enjoy a short walk through the picturesque center of Zaandam.
Day 2: Zaandam – Zaanse Schans – Zaandam | Zaandam – Haarlem (24 km/14 mi. or 34 km/21 mi.)
After breakfast you will enjoy a 5 km bicycle ride to the open air museum “Zaanse Schans” with beautiful windmills, traditional wooden houses, an old Dutch village, a cheese farm and a traditional wooden clog maker. In the afternoon you have a choice to make: you can either cycle (24 km/14 mi.) to Haarlem or take it easy and join the barge while enjoying the scenery. In Haarlem visit the historical inner city with the Grote Markt and St. Bavo church. Your barge will be berthed not far from the centre of Haarlem for the night, so you will have time to enjoy a short city walk in the afternoon or in the evening.
Day 3: Haarlem – Keukenhof – Oude Wetering (38 km/23 mi. or 55 km/34 mi.)
Today you will cycle to the Keukenhof, arguably the most famous flower park in the world where you can admire hundreds of thousands of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and many other flowers in full bloom. After an extensive visit you will get back on your bicycle at noon and will head to Oude Wetering, a small village, where your floating hotel will be waiting for you.
Day 4: Oude Wetering – Amsterdam | Amsterdam Waterland cycling tour (28 km/18 mi.)
This morning you are in for a real treat – an early visit by bus (6.30 a.m.) to the biggest flower auction* in the world at Aalsmeer. In the morning millions of flowers are auctioned off here and are instantly sent out to all parts of the world. By 9 a.m. you will return on the your barge where a late breakfast will be waiting for you while sailing through Amsterdam. During the afternoon you either have the opportunity to make a last beautiful cycling tour through the wetlands of Waterland or to discover this amazing city. Visit the inner city flower market, go to a museum, do some shopping… there is just so much to do! Optional: end-of-day canal tour in Amsterdam.
2020: *: The Aalsmeer flower auction is closed during weekends and on public holidays. This is an optional visit. Please be aware that on the departure date April 10 a visit to the flower auction is not possible.
Day 5: Amsterdam
Disembarkation after breakfast until 9.30 a.m.: End of your trip.
Good to know
Parts that are printed in italics parts will be covered by the ship.
All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. The tour details are barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons.
- On this Tulip Tour with more than 22 guests the daily cycling tours will be accompanied by 2 knowledgeable and multi-lingual tour leaders. On most days the tour leaders will offer a long and a short (or a quicker and a more relaxed) bike option.
- Not all mentioned highlights will be visited during the short bike option.
- You can also choose to ride individually with the help of a map and route notes (available on board). GPS tracks will be sent to you 4 weeks before the start date of the tour.
- In case you prefer a day of rest, you can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
- On the arrival day is it possible to bring your luggage on board from 12 a.m.
- 5 days/4 nights
- 4 x breakfast
- Packed lunches
- 4 x 3-course dinner
- Coffee and tea on board during breakfast and after the bicycle tours
- Welcome drink
- Use of bed linen and towels
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Climate-controlled cabin
- Daily briefings
- Fully guided cycling tours (Fluvius: 2 tour leaders, 2 groups | Mecklenburg: 1 tour leader)
- Some short walking tours
- Fees for ferries
- Maps and notes for cycling tours (1 set per cabin)
- GPS tracks
- Use of a waterproof pannier bag
- Coffee and tea on board at other hours
- Bicycle rental or E-bike rental
- Helmet rental
- Personal insurances
- Gratuities (at your discretion)
- Entrance fees and excursions
- Transfers to/from the docking place
- Parking fees
Rental bicycle: €60 per week (optional)
Rental E-Bike: €110 per week (only a limited number of electrical bikes available: pref. reservation by booking)
Helmets: In the Netherlands bikers are not obligated by law to wear a bike helmet. A helmet can be rented for € 10 per week, only on prior reservation and payment.
- Limitation of liability (damage) rental bicycle €10/tour
- Limitation of liability (damage) rental e-bike €25/tour