Briare – Nevers
Bike and Barge tour along the vineyards of the Sancerre. The Loire Valley between the cities of Briare and Nevers in the heart of France is a very well suited region for a relaxing bike and barge holiday.
Following the flow of the Loire River you gently ride through the green countryside with charming little villages and old castles and palaces. The rich landscape boasts many fruitful vineyards. Especially well known are the Sancerre and Pouilly Fumé wines. Both wines are reckoned to be among the most prestigious in the world. You will also see impressive examples of canal building engineering along the Canal lateral du Loire.
The small city of Briare with its picturesque locks and aqueduct is our starting point. On the first day you will ride to Rogy-les-Sept-Ecluses via the Pont Chevron castle. Through a beautiful region of lakes and past castles you will cycle along the Loire and visit Chatillon-sur-Loire with its impressive locks. Wine-tasting in the region of Sancerre and the Pouilly Fumé wines can not be missed. In between you will ride to St. Brisson Forest and through seemingly endless vineyards. On the way to the city of Nevers you will also visit the ancient Roman town of La Charité-sur-Loire with a 16th century stone bridge and the Château of Apremont, dating back to the 12th century and lavishly surrounded by gardens. The final destination of this week, the historical town of Nevers, is in itself already worth a visits of a few days.
- Famous Sancerre
- Pouilly Fumé vineyards
- Beautiful Sancerre and Nevers
- Ride along the Loire River
Day 1: Briare, embarkation at 3 pm, short ride 15KM
Arrival and welcome at the barge on the mooring place. Tryout bike ride in the surrounding countryside.
Day 2: Briare – Rogny-les-sept-Écluses – Briare 50KM
Our first real bike ride this week will lead us to the castle of ‘Pont Chevron,’ situated on a small, picturesque lake. Around lunchtime on this first cycling day you will be in the village Rogny-les-Sept-Écluses, known for its historical seven locks. Via the 16th-century castle near Bléneau you will cycle through a region of lakes to Ouzouer-sur-Trézée and eventually back to Briare.
Day 3: Briare – Belleville-sur-Loire 45KM
Today we start with a visit to the magnificent aqueduct over the Loire River in Briare. With some luck and good planning you might see the Claire de Lune pass through here, high above the river. Later you ride to St. Brisson, where you will see the impressive medieval castle. Further on you will pass the historical locks of Châtillon-sur-Loire. The bike ride towards Belleville-sur-Loire leads you through typical French countryside with rolling hills, country estates and small villages.
Day 4: Belleville-sur-Loire – Sancerre 50KM
Sancerre wines, and especially the white wines, are famous all over the world. The first mentioning of winegrowing in this region dates back to the 6th century. Until the 19th century the region mostly grew Pinot grapes, but after a disease that devastated the grapes Sauvignon is now mostly grown. And with success! The ride today takes you on a picturesque route right across the Sancerre vineyards and through the surrounding villages. In Ménétréol, situated under the Sancerre vineyards, there will be an opportunity to try some wine before returning to the Claire de Lune.
Day 5: Sancerre – Cours-les-Barres 45 KM
Right after breakfast you will hop on your bikes and begin this days cycling tour through the region of the Pouilly Fumé wines to La Charité-sur-Loire, an ancient Roman town. Crossing the 16th century stone bridge to the center, there is a splendid view overlooking the town and its Notre Dame church. Continue towards the destination of today, Cours-les-Barres.
Day 6: Cours-les-Barres – Grimouille 40KM
Riding south from Cours-les-Barres you pass nice wooded areas with again many nice villages and country estates. Later in the day you will end up in the small town of Apremont, where you will have the opportunity to visit the 12th-century castle and surrounding fabulous gardens. After, you will continue to the sleepy village of Grimouille on the Canal Lateral du Loire. On the way a visit to the aqueduct over the Allier River with its two impressive locks both measuring about 9 meters high is a must do!
Day 7: Grimouille – Nevers 25 KM
We end this week in the heart of France with a short ride to the town of Nevers where there are many sites to see including the winding streets filled with houses dating back from the 14th to 17th century. The origins of Nevers date back to Roman times. Nevers is since the 5th century the seat of the bishop and has among others a castle and a few interesting churches. To celebrate the end of your cycling week you can of course also take a well-earned rest on the several terraces in town and enjoy the local wine.
Day 8: Nevers, departure
After breakfast: debarkation before 10 AM.
- All nights on board, (Sat.-Sat. 8 days / 7 nights), cabin in the booked category;
- Full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x self-made picnic lunch for bike tours, 7 x three course dinner)
- Use of bed linen and 2 towels (change of towels possible)
- Coffee and tea on board
- Tour guide, cycles with the group
- Min. 3 city walks with the tourguide
- Free WiFi is limited available in lounge and on deck
- Road book, 1x per cabin
- Ferry fares on the route
- Bicycle rent
- Bicycle insurance (optional) € 30,- per bicycle (In 2024 Included)
- Bicycle insurance electric bike (optional) € 40,- per bicycle. (In 2024 Included)
- Entrance fees to museums; approx. € 45,-
- Personal insurance/ Cancellation insurance (optional)
Dutch Barge Cruises reserves the right to cancel tours with fewer than 12 participants up to 21 days prior to the date of departure.
The program is subject to change without notice due to weather, nautical reasons like bridges and locks, technical issues and other unforeseen circumstances .
Please note that the tour prices are based on the current fuel price.
Should the fuel price increase more than 5% (reference date June 2022), then we need to ask a supplement. Even for reservations already made.
- If you have special meal requirements we ask you to mention this when booking, but at the latest until 14 days before arrival. Diets which need a special preparation or special ingredients can only be offered in limited form. We will do our best to meet your needs, but we also ask for your understanding as due to limited logistic possibilities on a barge we are not able to prepare complete specialized menus. In case of Celiac; gluten free diet; vegan meals there is an additional charge of € 50, – per week.
- Dutch Barge cruises reserves the right to cancel tours with fewer than 12 participants up to 21 days prior to the date of departure.
- The program is subject to change without notice.