Danube 4 Countries
A bike and barge tour accompanied by a comfortable cruise ship. You cycle along Europe's second largest river Danube from the charming Bavarian “three river city” of Passau straight into the heart of the once glorious Imperial and Royal Monarchy.
Passau – Vienna – Bratislava – Budapest – Passau
Enjoy three of the most enchanting European capitals: the lively Vienna, the Slovak coronation city of Bratislava at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains and Budapest, the "Hungarian Dan-ube Queen"!
By bicycle you discover the stunning natural spectacle of the Schlögener Donauschlinge ("Great Loop"), the legendary Wachau with romantic towns and mighty castles amidst lovely vineyards, the untouched alluvial forests of the Danube National Park, as well as the picturesque Hungarian Danube bend where the important cupola of the basilica in Esztergom salutes from the distance.
The highlights of the tour:
- Passau, the City of 3 rivers,
- the Schloegen Danube Loop,
- the Hungarian Danube Bend,
- the World Herit-age Site Wachau,
- the metropoles of Bratislava, Budapest and Vienna.
Day 1: Saturday, Passau – Engelhartszell
Arrival in the "Three River City". Passau attracts many with the world's greatest church organ at the Stephansdom and it’s charming Old Town. Embarkation will be around 4:30 p.m., departure around 7 p.m. Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell.
Day 2: Sunday, Engelhartszell - Great Loop - Brandstatt – Bratislava | 46 km
The day starts in Engelhartszell (the only Trap-pist monastery in Austria), where we head to-wards the "Great Loop" - one of the most beauti-ful and original sectors of the Danube. Your cycling will encounter small villages and cosy must-see taverns. You'll board again in Brand-statt. Then, you "sail into the night" towards Bra-tislava.
Day 3: Monday, Bratislava, bike tour 54 km, city tour (optional)
Arrival at Bratislava around noon. You start cy-cling from Bratislava via Hainburg to the impos-ing Imperial Palace of Hof beautifully terraced gardens and idyllic manor farm further on to Devin and then back to Bratislava. During a tour by mini train and by foot in the evening (optional) you can discover hidden alleys of Bratislava, places and all the sights of this ambitious me-tropolis. In the night shipping to Budapest.
Day 4: Tuesday, Budapest (day of rest)| city tour “Hop on/Hop off or bicycle (optional)| roundtrip to Szentendre | 40 km In the evening: “Budapest by Night” (opt.)
In the early morning, you enjoy the panoramic view of the Danube's gorgeous landscape on the Sundeck. The gateway to Budapest is over-whelming, as many of the famous tourist fea-tures are situated directly next to the river bank. In the afternoon you can explore the city during a city tour by coach and by foot (optional). Near-by, you find the Margaretheninsel which is out-standingly qualified for a small bike tour or the charming town of Szentendre with Mediterrane-an atmosphere and lively art life. In the evening you can enjoy Budapest by Night with folklore program (opt.) In the night shipping to Visegrad.
Day 5: Wednesday, Danube Bend | Visegrad – Esztergom | 25 - 60 km
The Danube bend is definitely one of most de-lightful and attractive parts and is called the Hungarian Wachau. Today's bike leg starts at Visegrad with its famous fortress and the ruins of the former palace. You can choose from 2 different routes: the longer one includes a side trip to the island of Szentendre and the baroque village of Vác, which has been influenced by the architects of the Austrian empress Maria There-sia. The other route leads you directly to the bishop-town of Esztergom, with its gorgeous basilica – Hungary's largest Catholic Church – overlooking the village. In the night shipping to Vienna.
Day 6: Thursday, Vienna-Nussdorf / (Korneuburg may also be possible) (day of rest), city tour by bike or by coach/foot (op-tional) | Waltz and Operetta concert (opt.)
You should be sure to see the most famous places of interest like the St. Stephens Cathe-dral and the Hofburg. You can take a city tour by bike or by coach/foot (optional, not included). The gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House and the town hall takes you back to the past. The even-ing ends impressively with a Waltz and Operetta concert (optional, not included). In the night shipping to Rossatz or Dürnstein (Wachau).
Day 7: Friday, Wachau – Melk – Pöchlarn | 42 - 52 km, wine-tasting (optional)
Your last biking day is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürn-stein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In Spitz (pos-sibility for a wine-tasting – optional) you will find comfy wine taverns right along the bike path. You owe it to yourself to take a break! You’ll board again in the small village Pöchlarn. After the farewell gala dinner, you start “sailing” back to Passau
Day 8: Saturday, Passau
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you enjoy on deck the first sunbeams and the peace-ful silence of the Danube Valley. Take a last sight at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive relaxed at Passau. Arrival: approx at 10:00 a.m., disembarkation half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connect-ing trips from noon onwards.
- 7 nights in outside cabins with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary from/to Passau
- Captains greeting and Welcome drinkDaily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if wantedFull meals: breakfast, light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, afternoon coffee break, dinner
- Farewell-Dinner with Farewell-drink
- Daily Live-MusicDaily informational meetingInformation pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
- Port fees included
- Journey to and from Passau
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- drinks on board
- Bicycles on board: Unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears with coaster breaking hubs or 7 speed freewheel hubs (please indicate by the booking) and pannier bag. E-Bikes are available after prior request and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book.
- Languages on board: German, English
- Cycle tours: All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. All cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
- Luggage: We recommend rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers. Please be aware that the cabin storage space is very limited
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) Possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport. Please check the entry conditions with your local agency.
- Smoking: The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
- Land excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the cruise director.
Routing/Program: Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. In case of flood or low tide, the shipping company reserves the right to bridge parts of passages by buses. In extreme situations, the shipping company reserves the right to cancel the journey on short notice. No legal right shall be constituted of both situations. (Water level is force majeure). The same applies for officially ordered - previously not announced - repair work on locks or bridges or in case of undeserved breakdown of engine or power unit. Please be aware that a cruise ship on the Danube is not only your hotel but also a machine, working with engine power also during the night. Especially crossing locks and bridges - and the preparation work - may cause noise. If you are sensitive please bring your own ear plugs.
We recommend to wear a bike helmet (compulsory use for helmets: In Austria for children till 12 years, in Slovakia for children till 15 years and for all cyclists outside of towns). Onboard Selling: UVEX I-VO € 40.- per helmet, limited number.