DANUBE IN THE RHYTHM OF THE WALTZ
The bike and boat tour along the German / Austrian Danube is a very special pleasure, because your “swimming hotel” is always with you!
Gently downhill, you will cycle along lush green river banks, through small, dreamy villages in the impressive Danube landscapes. You will discover the breathtaking natural wonder of the “Great Loop” (a swift 180º turn!) and immerse yourself in legendary Wachau with its vineyard terraces and enchanted castles and monasteries. Then Vienna – an abundance of sights! A city, hardly to describe – you have to see and feel it! Sights like St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the city hall are easy to reach during a wonderful sightseeing tour by bike. A stroll through the Naschmarkt (famous food market) is a wonderful cultural and culinary adventure. You can also relax at any of the cosy coffee houses or at a typical traditional Viennese wine tavern in the suburbs.
The highlights of the tour:
- Passau, the City of 3 rivers,
- the Schloegen Danube Loop,
- the World Heritage Site Wachau,
- Upper Austria’s capital Linz,
- the cosmopolitan city Vienna with a plethora of sights.
Day 1: Saturday, Passau - Engelhartszell
The Episcopal city close to the Bavarian/Austrian border is also known as the "City of three Rivers." Boarding time is at 4:30 p.m., departure around 7 p.m. Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell.
Day 2: Sunday, Engelhartszell – Untermühl – „Great Loop“ – Linz, 35 km | city tour Linz (opt.)
Need a boost? Try some of the special cordials and liqueurs in the Trappist monastery in Engelhartszell. Supposedly, they have "special healing power." Downstream, the way leads you to pretty villages amid natural landscape. For a change take the little ferry boat through the romantic Schlögener loop, where the river makes a very abrupt 180 degree turn. Shipping from Untermühl to Linz. After dinner, ride on the bright yellow City-Express (optional, not included) and discover Linz, the capital of upper Austria.
Day 3: Monday, Linz – Mauthausen – Grein, 36 - 42 km | visit of castle of Greinburg (opt.)
In the early morning shipping to Mauthausen.
You have the possibility to visit the memorial-place KZ-Mauthausen. The Celtic town Mitterkirchen gives you an insight of the past. For easy cyclists the tour leads along the Danube, the alternative route, "Clam Castle," through the beautiful back country of the "Strudengau" is slightly hilly, but a fantastic landscape. In Grein, the impressive Castle of Greinburg is worth a visit (optional, not included).
Day 4: Tuesday, Grein – Melk – Tulln, 50 km
Today's stage is marked by a diverse landscape. At the beginning, there is the Strudengau – a narrow point of the Danube which used to be notorious amongst skippers. The valley expands from Persenbeug and the bike tour leads you further to Melk with its gorgeous baroque monastery of the Benedictine brethren. On deck, you enjoy the sunset and the beautiful evening illumination of the Wachau. Today's final destination is Tulln, famous for its numerous market gardens where the famous Art Nouveau artist Egon Schiele was born (museum).
Day 5: Wednesday, Tulln – Vienna-Nussdorf / (Korneuburg may also be possible), 35 km | city tour by coach/by foot (optional)
Right in front of Vienna's entrance, embedded in a breathtaking landscape, the monastery of Klosterneuburg is situated. You can already see the cupola of this 900 year old baroque building from a distance. "Kahlenbergerdorf" with it's wine taverns is definitely worth a visit. After a stroll through the vineyards, you can enjoy the panoramic view over Vienna. During the city tour by coach and by foot (optional, not included) in the afternoon, you will pass most of the numerous and famous sights of the beautiful city.
Day 6: Thursday, Vienna (day of rest) | city tour by bicycle (opt.) | Waltz and Operetta concert (opt.)
You should be sure to see the most famous places of interest like the St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg. You can take a city tour by bike (optional, not included). The gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House and the town hall takes you back to the past. There is enough time in the afternoon to stroll or visit one of the famous Viennese coffee bars. The evening ends impressively with a Waltz and Operetta concert (optional, not included). In the night shipping to Dürnstein or Rossatz.
Day 7: Friday, Wachau – Pöchlarn 39 km | Wine-tasting (opt.)
Your last biking day is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürnstein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In Spitz (possibility for a wine-tasting – optional) you will find comfy wine taverns right along the bike path. You owe it to yourself to take a break! In the evening farewell dinner and cocktail.
Day 8: Saturday, Passau
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you enjoy on deck the first sunbeams and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley. Take a last sight at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive relaxed at Passau. Arrival is about 10 a.m., disembarkation half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connecting trips from noon onwards.
- 7 nights in outside cabins with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary from/to Passau
- Captains greeting and Welcome-Drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: breakfast, lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, afternoon coffee break, dinner
- Farewell-Dinner with Farewell-Drink
- Daily Live-Music
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
- Port fees included
- Journey to and from Passau
- entrance fees
- bike rental
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- drinks on board
- Bicycles on board: Unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears with coaster breaking hubs or 7 speed freewheel hubs (please indicate by the booking) and pannier bag. E-Bikes are available after prior request and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book
- Languages on board: German, English
- Cycle tours: All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. All cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
- Luggage: We recommend rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers. Please be aware that the cabin storage space is very limited
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) Possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport. Please check the entry conditions with your local agency.
- Smoking: The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
- Land excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the cruise director.
Routing/Program: Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. In case of flood or low tide, the shipping company reserves the right to bridge parts of passages by buses. In extreme situations, the shipping company reserves the right to cancel the journey on short notice. No legal right shall be constituted of both situations. (Water level is force majeure). The same applies for officially ordered - previously not announced - repair work on locks or bridges or in case of undeserved breakdown of engine or power unit. Please be aware that a cruise ship on the Danube is not only your hotel but also a machine, working with engine power also during the night. Especially crossing locks and bridges - and the preparation work - may cause noise. If you are sensitive please bring your own ear plugs.