Highlights of the Danube/ 4 countries – 3 metropolises
By bike and boat from the “Bavarian Venice“ directly into the heart of the famous and glamorous former K+K monarchy Austria/Hungary. Look forward visiting three of Europe’s most charming capitals: Vienna, the metropolis of waltz, Bratislava, the capital of coronation and Budapest, the „Paris of the East“.
The bike tours lead you to the romantic „Great Loop“ (Schlögener Donauschlinge), the picturesque Danube Bend with Hungary’s largest cathedral and the legendary Wacha valley, which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage with its small villages, beautiful palaces and castles.
On board our comfortable cruise ships you enjoy an exclusive atmosphere – in the spacious, convenient cabins as well as in the stylish outdoor area. Experience the fantastic view to breath-taking landscapes on the bike, from the sun deck, in the comfy seats of the panorama-lounge, and even during your amazing meals in the first-class restaurant. This exciting bike trip will make your holiday unforgettable.
- MV Vivienne: Each SUNDAY, between April 28 – October 06, 2024 (= first and last tour start)
- MV Swiss Crown: SATURDAY, May 18, June 01, August 31, September 14 2024
Day 1: Passau/surroundings
Boarding time from 4.00-5.00 p.m. Located at the confluence of Danube, Inn and Ilz, Passau has numerous interesting sites to visit. Use your free time and stroll through the cobblestoned Old Town centre, listen to the bells of Passau’s Gothic Town Hall or have a look at the world’s largest Catholic Church organ in the Passau Cathedral. Then it's time to cast off! Slowly, the dreamlike backdrop of Passau's old town disappears on the horizon.
Day 2: Great Loop | Engelhartszell - Aschach, approx. 43 km
Your first day’s tour begins with a ride through the classic scenery of the ‘Great Loop’ Donauschlinge - one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube. Along the way you will encounter tiny villages and cosy cider taverns. In Austria’s only Trappist monastery at Engelhartszell you can taste their delicious liquors and cheese. The famous ‘Schlogener View’ provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding Austrian countryside. The boat welcomes all cyclists back on board in the charming market town of Aschach.
Day 3: Devin - Bratislava, approx. 45 km
You pedal along the former ‘Iron Curtain’, cross the green line and reach the imposing Imperial Schlosshof Palace with its beautifully terraced gardens. Follow the bike path through Austria’s ‘vegetable garden’ to the coronation town Bratislava and the slopes of the Little Carpathians and discover the hidden alleyways and sights of Bratislava on an optional city tour.
Day 4: Budapest | Excursion to Szentendre, approx. 24 km (or day of rest)
The entrance to Budapest, Hungary's capital is stunning. Savour the beauty of Budapest during a coach tour or a guided bike tour (optional) to discover many of the highlights of this beautiful city. You can also choose to cycle to the charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art scene. In the evening it is definitely worth visiting the Jewish Quarter.
Day 5: Danube bend - Esztergom, approx. 42 km
Situated in the middle of the Danube River the idyllic isle of Szentendre exudes silent Puszta romance. History, folklore and Hungarian way of life will accompany you on your way to Esztergom where the gorgeous basilica – Hungary’s largest Catholic Church – impresses its guests
Day 6: Vienna (day of rest)
Discover Vienna's most beautiful attractions. During a city tour by bike or bus (optional)
you will experience Vienna’s most famous examples of architecture: the imperial Hofburg, St. Stephens Cathedral, the gorgeous ‘Ring’-boulevard and the State Opera House, the Burgtheater and town hall, and of course the colourful "Hundertwasserhaus". Take time to relax in one or more of Vienna’s famous cafés, while the evening ends impressively at a classical concert (optional) at a famous Viennese Palace.
Day 7: Wachau | Krems - Melk, approx. 37 km
Your last biking day is a special highlight! A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Durnstein, while the blue spire of the monastery church is a landmark of the renowned Wachau Valley. Amidst dreamy towns, apricot trees, vineyards and castles, this hilly landscape enchants everybody who visits. In Spitz (possibility for wine- tasting – optional) you will find comfortable wine taverns along the bike path.
Day 8: Passau/surroundings
As you cruise back up the Danube enjoy the early morning sunshine as you wind your way to Passau/surroundings, where you’ll disembark at approx. 11.00 a.m. Connecting travel should be booked for 12.00 noon onwards.
- 7 nights in outside cabins with private facilities and air conditioning
- Port Charges
- Program according to itinerary from/to Passau
- Captain‘s greeting and welcome cocktail
- Full board: breakfast buffet, lunch or packaged lunch (on cycling days),
- afternoon coffee break, dinner (2/3 dishes to choose), late night snack
- Gala dinner and farewell cocktail
- Cruise director onboard (does not cycle with the group)
- Board Musician
- Daily information meeting
- Detailed travel documents per cabin, GPS tracks + cycling tour app incl. voice navigation / cabin
- Journey to and from Passau
- entrance fees
- city maps
- ferry fees
- bike rental
- travel insurances
- parking fees
- drinks on board
Guided Tour - ADDITIONALLY includes
- Cycling tour guide
- Tasting of homemade cider at a cider producer in the Upper Danube Valley
- Ferry rides
- 2x city tour: Vienna by bike, Budapest by bus
- Wine tasting with a local wine grower
- Bike helmet rental
Rental bike disclaimer
- € 18,- per touring bike
- € 50,- per e-bike
If a traveller rents a bike, he is basically liable for damages and theft. When booking our rental bike disclaimer, we assume liability so that in case of loss or damage to the rental bike (when properly used and secured) no financial responsibility must be paid. Excluded from this are only lost keys, batteries and chargers of e-bikes, as well asdamage due to intent or gross negligence.
- Bicycles on board: Unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears with coaster breaking hubs or 7 speed freewheel hubs (please indicate by the booking) and pannier bag. E-Bikes are available after prior request and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book
- Languages on board: German, English
- Cycle tours: All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. All cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
- Luggage: We recommend rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers. Please be aware that the cabin storage space is very limited
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) Possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport. Please check the entry conditions with your local agency.
- Smoking: The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
- Land excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the cruise director.
Routing/Program: Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. In case of flood or low tide, the shipping company reserves the right to bridge parts of passages by buses. In extreme situations, the shipping company reserves the right to cancel the journey on short notice. No legal right shall be constituted of both situations. (Water level is force majeure). The same applies for officially ordered - previously not announced - repair work on locks or bridges or in case of undeserved breakdown of engine or power unit. Please be aware that a cruise ship on the Danube is not only your hotel but also a machine, working with engine power also during the night. Especially crossing locks and bridges - and the preparation work - may cause noise. If you are sensitive please bring your own ear plugs.