Through the Netherlands by Bike Boat
Discover the Netherlands in a unique way on an 8-days-journey by bike and boat. Well-built cycle paths as well as wide and extensive waterways guarantee an unforgettable holiday.
Throughout the day you are cycling on your own through the beautiful landscapes in Rembrandt’s and Van Gogh’s country and in the late afternoon your swimming hotel MS SIR WINSTON will be at your disposal. And if you don’t like to cycle every day, you can stay on board and enjoy the passing countryside.
The Province of the Southern Netherlands
You are travelling through the green heart of the Netherlands by bike and boat. Hardly any province is more changing and many-faceted than the Southern Netherlands. Big cities as well as untouched nature are so close to each other. The many waterways offer uncountable opportunities to discover the wonderful landscapes and culture historical highlights of the province “Zuid-Holland”. Experience such different cities like Gouda and Schoonhoven and of course Rotterdam, also known as the “Manhattan on the river Maas”. Gorgeous lakes like the Brassemermeer and not to forget the major porcelain manufacture in Delft with its “Delfter Blue”.
Day 1: Saturday – Individual arrival at Amsterdam
In Amsterdam you check in on board. In the afternoon and in the evening you have the opportunity to get to know the city of Am-sterdam.
Day 2: Sunday, Shipping from Amster-dam via Aalsmeer to Alphen aan den Rijn, Cycle tour from Aalsmeer to Al-phen, approx. 42 km
In the morning, cruise from Amsterdam to Aalsmeer. You will pass 14 bridges; most of them are lifted up exclusively for the MS SIR WINSTON. In Aalsmeer, start off for your cycle tour. Via the inland lake Brasse-mermeer you will reach Alphen aan den Rijn.
Day 3: Monday, Shipping from Alphen aan den Rijn to Gouda, Cycle tour from Alphen to Gouda, approx. 25 km
From Alphen a/d Rijn, cycle leisurely to the city of Gouda, which is famous for its cheese. You may take a detour to the city centre of Leiden (plus 20 km). Cyclists with a good level of fitness continue cycling to the seaside town of Katwijk, with its long beaches along the North Sea (plus 45 km).
Tip: During the tulip-flowering season (de-partures 31Mar-05May) we offer an optional day excursion to Keukenhof by coach, transfers and entrance fee included (only bookable in advance).
Day 4: Tuesday, Shipping from Gouda to Rotterdam, Cycle tour from Rotterdam to Delft or from Rotterdam via Den Haag to Scheveningen, approx. 35 - 85 km
Prior to breakfast, MS SIR WINSTON leaves Gouda for Rotterdam. Here you have two options for today’s cycling tour: First one will lead you to Delft (Tip: visit of the porcelain manufacture), second directly to the governmental seat Den Haag and to the North Sea coastal town and health resort Scheveningen and back. Alternatively, you can also go back to Rotterdam by train (rail and bike is not included). Tip: you should experience the harbour of Rotterdam on an interesting harbour tour (optional).
Day 5: Wednesday, Shipping from Rot-terdam to Schoonhoven, Cycle tour from Rotterdam to Schoonhoven, approx. 43 km You are cycling from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk (UNESCO World’s Cultural Herit-age with 19 windmills in a row) and further to Schoonhoven, known for its silver-making and its enchanting old-town.
Day 6: Thursday, Shipping from Schoonhoven to Utrecht, Cycle tour from Schoonhoven to Utrecht, approx. 40 km
Today you are cycling through the beautiful landscape of Polderland to Oudewater (witch’s scales) and further on to Utrecht. The Utrecht Dome is one of the most im-portant ones in the Netherlands.
Day 7: Friday, Shipping from Utrecht via Zaandam to Amsterdam, Cycle tour from Zaandam to Amsterdam, approx. 30 km
In the morning you are shipping from Utrecht to Zaandam. From here you are cycling to the museum’s village “Zaanse Schans”, an open-air museum (entrance fee not included) which was built to show the Dutch historical heritage. You can visit an ancient Dutch village, a cheese manufac-ture, a shipyard, a Dutch wooden shoe manufacture, a museum of bakery, the Zaanse watch museum and the unique col-our mill, De Kat. Connected with the exhibi-tion terrain is the Zaans museum, which gives an insight into the development of the “Zaanstreeks” as the first industrial area. Products like mustard, cheese, pastries, etc. are produced there and can be bought. You are cycling back to Amsterdam through the recreational area of Twiske. Tip: In the af-ternoon you have the opportunity to take part in a “Grachtenrundfahrt” (shipping on the channels of Amsterdam in small boats, optional).
Day 8: Saturday - Journey home
After breakfast you are checking out and we are saying goodbye – have a safe journey home.
- Seven nights in outside cabins shower/WC in the booked cabin category
- Programm according to routing from/to Amsterdam
- Room cleaning every day
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full board consisting of breakfast buffet, snack on board or lunch package for cycling tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, dinner
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily individual bike tours (1 per cabin)
- Daily meeting for the cycle tours
- Tour guide
- Journey to and from Amsterdam
- parking fee
- bike rental
- entrance fees and excursions
- ferry tickets
- drinks on board
- travel insurances.
- Your journey to and from Amsterdam will be individual. • Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. If there is low or high water and a route cannot be shipped, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this cannot be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal). • The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
- Embarkation: From 15:00 hours to 17:00 hours
- Disembarkation: After breakfast by 09:30 hours.
- Bicycles on board: Unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears, hand brake and pedal brake and pannier bag. E-Bikes are on these tours only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and at limited number.
- Please indicate your body height when you book.
- Languages on board: German, English
- Cycle tours: All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. Nearly all cycle tours can be classified as being easy. •
- Excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the cruise director.
- Luggage: We recommend: rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers.
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport.
Bike rent: € 70.- 7-gear rental bike, manual hand and back breaks, back bags and rental bike insurance
E-bike rent: € 165.- E-Bike (advance reservation, limited number) with back bags and rental bike insurance
Excursions: we offer a small excursion program, that can be booked directly on board at the cruise director only. You will get a brief description together with your travel documents. Depending on the number of participants some excursions could be carried out in 2 languages (German/ English).