Passau – Vienna – Passau
THE CLASSIC DANUBIAN CYCLE PATH BY BIKE & BARGE
The bike tour along the German / Austrian Danube is a very special pleasure, because your “swimming hotel” is always with you! Gently downhill, you will cycle along lush green river banks, through small, dreamy villages in the impressive Danube landscapes. You will discover the breathtaking natural wonder of the “Great Loop” (a swift 180º turn!) and immerse yourself in legendary Wachau with its vineyard terraces and enchanted castles and monasteries. Then Vienna – an abundance of sights! A city, hardly to describe – you have to see and feel it! Sights like St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the city hall are easy to reach during a wonderful sightseeing tour by bike. A stroll through the Naschmarkt (famous food market) is a wonderful cultural and culinary adventure. You can also relax at any of the cosy coffee houses or at a typical traditional Viennese wine tavern in the suburbs.
The highlights of the tour:
- Passau, the City of 3 rivers
- the Schloegen Danube Loop
- the World Heritage Site Wachau
- Upper Austria’s capital Linz
- the cosmopolitan city Vienna with a plethora of sight.
Day 1: Passau - Obernzell
The Episcopal city close to the Bavarian/Austrian border is also known as the "City of three Rivers." Boarding time is at approx. 4-5 pm, departure around 7 pm Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Obernzell.
Day 2: Obernzell – Obermühl – „Great Loop“ – Linz, ca. 35 km
Downstream, the way leads you to pretty villages amid natural landscape. Need a boost? Try some of the special cordials and liqueurs in the Trappist monastery in Engelhartszell. Supposedly, they have "special healing power." For a change take the little ferry boat through the romantic Schlögener loop, where the river makes a very abrupt 180 degree turn (approx. € 3.- per pers.). Shipping from Obermühl to Linz. Tip: discover Linz, the capital of upper Austria while riding on the bright yellow City-Express.
Day 3: Linz – Mauthausen – Grein, ca. 36 - 42 km
In the early morning shipping to Mauthausen.
You have the possibility to visit the memorial-place KZ-Mauthausen. The Celtic town Mitterkirchen gives you an insight of the past. For easy cyclists the tour leads along the Danube, the alternative route, "Clam Castle," through the beautiful back country of the "Strudengau" is slightly hilly, but a fantastic landscape. Worth a visit in Grein: the impressive Castle of Greinburg.
Day 4: Grein – Melk – Tulln, ca. 50 km
Today's stage is marked by a diverse landscape. At the beginning, there is the Strudengau – a narrow point of the Danube which used to be notorious amongst skippers. The valley expands from Persenbeug and the bike tour leads you further to Melk with its gorgeous baroque monastery of the Benedictine brethren. On deck, you enjoy the sunset and the beautiful evening illumination of the Wachau. Today's final destination is Tulln, famous for its numerous market gardens where the famous Art Nouveau artist Egon Schiele was born.
Day 5: Tulln – Vienna-Nussdorf / (Korneuburg may also be possible), ca. 35 km
Right in front of Vienna's entrance, embedded in a breathtaking landscape, the monastery of Klosterneuburg is situated. You can already see the cupola of this 900 year old baroque building from a distance. "Kahlenbergerdorf" with it's wine taverns is definitely worth a visit. After a stroll through the vineyards, you can enjoy the panoramic view over Vienna.
Day 6: Vienna-Nussdorf / Korneuburg (day of rest)
You should be sure to see the most famous places of interest like the St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg, the gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House or the town hall that takes you back to the past. Take your time in the afternoon to stroll or visit one of the famous Viennese coffee bars.
In the night shipping to Krems.
Day 7: Wachau – Emmersdorf, ca. 35 km
Your last biking day is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürnstein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In Emmersdorf you embark MS ARLENE. In the evening farewell dinner and cocktail.
Day 8: Departure from Passau
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you enjoy on deck the first sunbeams and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley. Take a last sight at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive relaxed at Passau. Arrival is about 10 am, disembarkation half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connecting trips from noon onwards.
- 7 nights in outside cabins of the MS Arlene II with private facilities and air condition
- Programme according itinerary from/to Passau
- Captains greeting and Welcome-Drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full meals: 7x breakfast, 6x lunch snack on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists,
6x afternoon coffee break, 6x 3-course-dinner and 1x farewell-dinner with farewell-drink
- Passenger fees and port fees
- Daily Live-Music
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
- Journey to and from Passau
- entrance fees and excursions
- bike rental
- travel insurances
- parking fee
- ferry fees
- drinks on board
• Embarkation: ca. 4-5 pm, disembarkation: ca.. 10:30 am.
• Bicycles on board: unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears with coaster breaking hubs or 7 speed freewheel hubs (subject to availability) and pannier bag. E-Bikes are available after prior request and at limited number. Please indicate your body height when you book
• To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck.
• Languages on board: German, English
• Cycle tours: all distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. All cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
• Luggage: we recommend rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers. Please be aware that the cabin storage space is very limited
• Smoking: the interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
• Land excursions: we offer an optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) excursion programme which can be booked directly on board at the cruise director only. Together with your travel documents you will get a brief description. Depending on the number of participants some excursions could be carried out in 2 languages (German/ English)
• Routing/Program: basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. In case of flood or low tide, the shipping company reserves the right to bridge parts of passages by buses. In extreme situations, the shipping company reserves the right to cancel the journey on short notice. No legal right shall be constituted of both situations. The same applies for officially ordered - previously not announced - repair work on locks or bridges. Please be aware that a cruise ship on the Danube is not only your hotel but also a machine, working with engine power also during the night. Especially crossing locks and bridges - and the preparation work - may cause noise. If you are sensitive please bring your own ear plugs.
•Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
• This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.