The Golden City
With Bike and Barge from/to Prague over the Rivers Moldova and Elbe Summer
The Czech Republic, the small country in the heart of Europe, impresses with its original river landscapes, picturesque villages and romantic castles, whose history and architecture can often be traced back to the Middle Ages.
Prague, known also as „the Golden City“ and „the City of a Hundred Spires“, is both point of departure and final destination for this beautiful bike and barge tour along the Upper Moldova, in Czech called Vltava, and the huge Elbe River – when the bridges of the Vltava River are ablaze with sunlight and the spires of the castle sparkle in the light, then it becomes obvious that Prague has its nickname ”Golden City” with good reason! Multifaceted and unique, modern and at the same time aware of tradition – discover one of Europe’s most beautiful metropolis with its Old Town listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The MS FLORENTINA moors approx. 1 km away from the Charles Bridge and is therefore an ideal springboard for exploring this gorgeous city the marvellously restored Market Place, the busy Wencelslas Square or the Jewish quarter are waiting for you. And you will not be missing out on good food beer and roast pork with dumplings, just to name one of the many specialities when you are on the move with your bike do not miss to have a break and quech your thirst with a original Czech amber nectar.
The ship features 16 twin cabins (approx.10 sq m) and 4 single cabins (approx. 8 sq m) with French balcony (opening windows) on the upper deck, and 24 twin cabins (ca. 10 sq m) and 2 single cabins(ca. 8 sq m) on the main deck (windows cannot be opened).
All 46 cabins are outside cabins and have en-suite shower facilities. They all also include a central air condition with individually adjustable ventilation, hairdryers, TV’s and safes. There is W-LAN on board (please note that the signal is not always available).
Day 1: Sunday, Arrival in Prague
Individual arrival in Prague. Embarkation from 4pm. After dinner, take a stroll over the Charles Bridge, particularly beautiful in the dark, and enjoy the stunning view of the illuminated Prague Castel.
Day 2: Monday, Prague – Kralupy, Cycle Tour approx. 27 km
The morning is at your disposal and you have enough time for a nice little walk through Prague. Then you will be handed out your bike and start for your first cycle tour. You will cycle along the Vltava River via Troja (Baroque castle – National Art Gallery) to the village of Klecánky and then over the tread of the Vltava via Drasty, Vodochody back to the river bank to today`s destination Kralupy. Arrival of the ship at around 5pm.
Day 3: Tuesday, Kralupy – Mělník, Excursion Nelahozeves (optional), Cycle Tour approx. 28 km, Boat Trip to Litoměřice/Leitmeritz
After breakfast, around 9am, we will take out the bike again. You will cycle – almost always along the Vltava River – to Nelahozeves. Visit with us the birth house of Antonin Dvořák and one of the most famous Renaissance castles of Bohemia, also known as the “little Louvre of Czechia” (optional). The tour takes you past the Veltrusý Park, with numerous sculptures and gazebos in an extensive terrain, up to the royal town of Mělník. Around about 1.30pm, return back to the ship and enjoy the boat trip on the Elbe River to Litoměřice.
Day 4: Wednesday, Litoměřice – Guided Walking Tour (optional), Cycle tour to Ustí and back (approx. 53 km)
A day at leisure. On a guided walk (optional), you will have the possibility to discover one of the most beautiful Czech towns, the royal town of Litoměřice. The colourful Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings in the town centre, which for the most part is encircled by well-preserved Gothic fortifications, will enchant you. Well-worth seeing: Baroque Cathedral of St Stephen atop the dome hill, the historic underground (extensive tunnel system) or the Bishop’s residence. You might also be interested in a visit to the Terezín Memorial (Theresienstadt) in the village of Terezìn. The concentration camp memorial is located only 5 km away. The more advanced cyclists may feel to cycle to Ustí - idyllically situated in the narrow valley of the Elbe river – You will come by the Bohemian Gate and by the old castle ruin Schreckenstein. The MS FLORENTINA will moor overnight in Litoměřice.
Day 5: Thursday, Litoměřice – Roudnice – Mlčechvosty, Cycle Tour Roudnice – Mělník – Mlčechvosty, approx. 40 km, Excursion Castle Tour and coffee and cake in the castle-patisserie (optional)
Early in the morning, the ship will take you to Roudnice. Your cycle tour starts at around 09:00 am. Almost always alongside the Elbe, via Dobřín, Račice and Vliněves, you cycle back again to the lovely village of Mělník. On a guided walk (opt.) enjoy the splendid panoramic view of the confluence of the Vlatwa and Elbe River from the top of the castle hill. Afterwards, have coffee and cake in the castle-patisserie. You continue cycling to today’s destination Mlčechvosty. Arrival of the ship at around 4:30 pm.
Day 6: Friday, Mlčechvosty – Prague, ca. 40 km
Today you can go for a last bike tour via Nelahozeves, Kralupy, Chvatěruby, Vodochody, Drasty and Klecánky to Prague or you relax on the sun deck. You will arrive at Prage at ca. 3:30 pm. The rest of the day is reserved for Prague.
Day 7: Saturday, Prague, Guided Walking Tour Prague (optional) or cycle tour Prague – Zbraslav and back, ca. 30 km
In the morning, there will be an optional guided walk to discover the right bank of the Vltava River, the highlights of the Old Town, the New Town and the Jewish Quarter (duration approx. 2 hours). Or just meander along the streets or watch the lively goings-on sitting in one of the cafes on the Old Town Square. There are countless possibilities! In case you feel like cycling, make a tour upstream along Vltava River to Zbraslav and back. A trip to Vyṧehrad Castle is worthwile. It was built, probably in the 10th century, on a hill over the Vltava River. Local legend holds that Vyṧehrad was the location of the first settlement which later became Prague.
Day 8: Sunday, Prague
After breakfast, till 09:30am disembarkation and individual departure.
- 7 nights in outside cabin with en-suite shower facilities in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary from/to Prague
- Welcome drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Change of bedding and towels
- Full board (breakfast buffet, packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner)
- All port, bridge and lock fees
- Daily briefing for the respective cycle tour
- Maps and information material 1x per cabin
- Arrival and departure
- hire bikes (Bike hire for a 7 speed unisex bicycle, with hand- and/or pedal brake, pannier bag and a rental bike insurance) - (E-Bike, pannier bag and a rental bike insurance must be booked in advance, limited number)
- entrance fees and excursions
- city maps
- travel insurances
- gratuities and own expenses.
- Embarkation: From 4 pm.
- Disembarkation: After breakfast, until 9:30 am.
- Bike hire on board: Smooth-running 7 speed-unisex-city bikes made by KTM with hand- and back pedal brakes or 7 speed freewheel hubs and with pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited number available – early booking required).
- Languages on board: German, English
- Cycle Tours: individual and self-guided. You will cycle from 26 to 53 km. The kilometres indicated for the cycle tours are approximate.
- Cycle ways/level of difficulty: The cycle tour is suitable for people with average fitness level. You will cycle on paved or asphalted cycle ways, on very lightly-trafficked agricultural roads as well as on unpaved trails leading through forests or fields. There will also be short legs along heavy-trafficked roads. The terrain is mostly flat, though there are some slopes to cope with.
- Excursions: Optional excursions during the journey must be booked on board.
- Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes.
- Special dietary needs: (e.g. lactose-free and gluten-free diet) On request and there will be an extra fee. Please inform us at least 14 days prior to departure. If necessary, some special dietary product must be brought along.
Alterations of schedule or programme: Subject to change. In the event that because of low or high water levels or adverse weather conditions a route cannot be taken, the captain reserves the right to change the route for your safety (this would not be a reason for fee-free cancellation).
For safety reasons, sun deck access may be limited in times of high water levels/low bridge clearance. Bicycles may sometimes be stored ashore overnight as a transport on the ship would not be possible due to low bridge clearance.
Please note for your tour planning that due to numerous locks, the ship will always be slower than a cyclist.
Travel documents: EU citizens need a valid identity card or passport for this journey.
Minimum number of participants: 45 people. General conditions of the tour organiser are applied